Friday, March 7, 2014

OLDER ADULTS FALLING 

My wife and I were out and about during the weekend and I noticed a large group of seniors in several stores, sharing each others' company and generally having a good time.  There were also those that were with family members on a day out.  I naturally thought, what would I do if there was a medical emergency and did a quick check list in my mind.  A lot came from years of training and experience with my parents and now my mother-in-law.  

What I came to realize is that their generation was independent, proud and had a great "do it yourself" attitude that they have kept all these years.  We need to ask them often, how they are doing, any aches or pains, what can I do for you, so forth.  They may not volunteer the information but they might answer your questions.  I know that my mom would say that she was alright and that she would take an aspirin if needed, even though we knew she was hurting from various ailments.  It wasn't until we specifically asked that we got a direct answer.  One of the last things she said to me and my two sisters was that she had hoped she had not been a burden on us.  

With that said, I did some research and came up with the following information.  I am passing this on to our community so that they will have the knowledge to create a safer environment that will support the can do "attitude" of our seniors.

(From the National Safety Council)

Each year, one in every three adults age 65 and older falls. Falls can lead to moderate to severe injuries, such as hip fractures and head traumas, and are the leading cause of injury death among those age 65 and older. In 2007, 18,334 adults age 65 and older died from fall-related injuries—four times as many as all other age groups.

As adults grow older, their risk of being injured in a fall increases exponentially. There is a slightly higher than average risk for 65-year-olds, but this risk rises significantly in 75-year-olds and rises once again for those that age 80 and older. Older adult falls lead to reduced functions and premature loss of independence, and oftentimes a fall may indicate a more serious underlying health problem. 

(Click on the link and then click on the pop up)


 Older Adult Falls Fact Sheet
Older Adult Fall Prevention Tips
Falls are largely preventable, and as our population ages, more and more individuals will see their risk of falling increase. People of all ages, but especially older adults, will benefit from fall-proofing their homes and making lifestyle changes to decrease their risk of a fall leading to injury or even death.
 Older Adult Fall Prevention Checklist

 Fall-Proofing Your Home

For more information contact:


Tennessee Safety and Health Council
6719 Heritage Business Court, Ste. 604
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Phone: (423) 553-1945 or Alt. Phone:
Fax: (423) 553-1944
E-mail: tshc@tnsafetycouncil.org

REMEMBER - SAFETY IS EVERYONE'S RESPONSIBILITY



No comments:

Post a Comment